Health Policy Research Seminar Series
NLCAHR has partnered with the Newfoundland and Labrador Department of Health and Community Services (DHCS) to conduct a series of seminars aimed at improving evidence-based decision making and exploring the ways in which research can (and can’t) be used in the making of the policy decisions.
These discussions of the scientific underpinnings of current
health and health policy issues enhance the dialogue between
researchers and research users and help build skills in the
Department in the formulation of researchable questions and the use
of research results in decision making.
The objectives of these seminars are:
to introduce to DHCS important new health research information, particularly in the area of health services and policy research;
to establish a process for identifying provincial health research priorities for attention by NLCAHR;
to improve the skills of participants in developing researchable projects and integrating research evidence into decision-making activities;
to enhance the capacity of university-based researchers to work with policy makers in formulating research questions, carrying out research, and communicating the results
Description of the
The Seminar Series began in September 2003. Each year, a series of research and policy seminars is jointly planned and facilitated by the NLCAHR and the Policy Development Division of DHCS with topics drawn from those recommended by senior management.
The bi-monthly sessions highlight the relevance of current research, both from Newfoundland and Labrador and from elsewhere, for the priority policy issues confronting DOHCS and the province.
Presentation available where indicated
- November 21, 2006, "The Manitoba Centre for Health Policy (MCHP): Who we are and what we do", Dr. Patricia Martens, Director of MCHP and Associate Professor, Department of Community Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba
- May 17, 2005, "Closer to Home: The burden of out-of-pocket expenses on cancer patients in Newfoundland and Labrador", Dr Maria Mathews, Faculty of Medicine, MUN
- March 15, 2005, "Performance Agreements" Dr. Travor Brown, Associate Professor, Faculty of Business, MUN and "Performance Contracts and Newfoundland and Labrador’s Regional Economic Development Boards: Initial Framework and Lessons Learned", Dr. Rob Greenwood, Director, Leslie Harris Centre of Regional Policy and Development, MUN
- January 25, 2005, “The United Kingdom’s 10 High Impact Changes for Service Improvement and Delivery – How Might They Apply to Newfoundland and Labrador?”, Janice Butler, MN, NLCAHR, Memorial University and Dr. James Rourke, Dean of Medicine, Memorial University
- May 25, 2004, "Critical Appraisal of Research", Dr. Abe Ross, Department of Psychology, MUN
- January 27, 2004, "The Mental Health Strategy", Joy Maddigan, Director of Policy and Planning, DHCS
- November 25, 2003, "Privacy and Confidentiality", Dr. Daryl Pullman, Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University
- September 23, 2003, "Why Bother with Research?", Laurie Twells,
MSc, NLCAHR, Memorial University