The Research Exchange Group on Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) was established in 2016 to be a forum where people can meet to discuss issues related to ADHD research, policy, and programming. The group connects university, community and health system partners, together with people with ADHD and their caregivers - anyone with an interest in this important applied health research topic. This group is currently on hiatus and will reconvene in September 2021.
- Dr. Jacqueline Hesson–Associate Professor, Faculty of Education, Memorial University
- Dr. Kristen Williams–Clinical Psychologist, Director of the Beacon Centre Inc., St. John's, N.L.
Goals & Objectives
The Research Exchange Group on ADHD aims to:
- Create trans-disciplinary research connections and opportunities for researchers, clinicians, and community partners to engage in research activities
- Identify best evidence and best practices associated with care for people with ADHD
- Exchange knowledge about ADHD diagnosis and assessment
- Identify gaps in the existing research literature
- Identify funding opportunities that will support research teams in new research projects on ADHD
- Work towards the development of reliable information resources for people with ADHD, for parents, caregivers, educators, and researchers
- Develop greater overall capacity to conduct research on ADHD in Newfoundland and Labrador
The group has identified the following major research themes for possible group collaboration, presentations, and research projects:
- Defining ADHD
- Lifestyle, diet & ADHD
- Technology & ADHD
- ADHD and Education
- Treatment options for persons with ADHD
- Contributing factors to a diagnosis of ADHD
- ADHD and public policy (health and education)
- The landscape for ADHD in NL
- Gathering information about ADHD prevalence, treatment and supports for caregivers
- Best practices for clinicians treating clients with ADHD
- ADHD across the lifespan
NLCAHR’s Research Exchange Group on ADHD welcomes anyone with an interest in ADHD to join us. Please see our calendar of meetings for information about upcoming webinars or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
The group welcomes presentations from anyone with clinical experience, research knowledge, programming or practice guidelines or any other topic related to ADHD that you would like to share with the group. If there are topics related to ADHD that interest you, roundtable discussions and journal article presentations can also be scheduled. Please contact email@example.com to make suggestions for talks or to be added to the presentations roster.
February 13, 2020 | Post-Secondary Students with ADHD | Dr. June Kirkland-Smith, Field Education Coordinator, School of Social Work | Facilitated discussion on experiences, approaches, and supports. |
December 4, 2018 | Canadian ADHD Resource Alliance | Dr. Doron Almagor, Board Chair of the Canadian ADHD Resource Alliance (CADDRA) about programs, research resources and opportunities for partnership | Link to Presentation |
February 14, 2018 | ADHD and Lifestyle Behaviours in Children and Adolescents | Dr. Kristen Williams, Eastern Health | Overview of some of the research literature followed by discussion questions for the group. |
December 13, 2017 | Self-Management and Substance Abuse | Dr. Ross Connolly, Memorial University Lecturer in Counselling, Provisionally Registered Psychologist (NL).| Link to Presentation |
October 11, 2017 | Cannabinoids and ADHD | A Journal Article Discussion |
February 22, 2017 | Parent Information and Support Sessions in Eastern Health | Tanya Purchase on Eastern Health's Parent Information and Support Sessions for Parents of Children with ADHD (held at the Janeway) | Links to Session Information: Session 1 for Parents | Session 2 for Parents | Session 3 for Parents |
May 31, 2017 | Gaming Addictions | Dr. Nick Harris, Department of Psychology, Memorial University | Link to Presentation |