Bullying and Health
The Research Exchange Group on Bullying and Health was founded in September 2013. The group comprises researchers, faculty, educators, students, practitioners, and policy makers who gather monthly to discuss applied health research on issues related to bullying and health in Newfoundland and Labrador, whether focussed on the school system, the workplace, the post-secondary experience, health professional bullying or issues of leadership and restorative justice.
The goals of this group are
- to create research links;
- to identify funding opportunities and research gaps;
- to work towards developing greater overall capacity to conduct research on bullying and health; and
- to promote evidence to inform decisions about public policy on bullying and health in Newfoundland and Labrador
Meetings & Presentations
- May 6, 2019: Frequency, Patterns, and Prevention of Cyber Bullying and Victimization | Brett Holfeld, B.A. (Hons.) (University of Manitoba), M.Sc., Ph.D. (University of North Dakota), Assistant Professor, Psychology, Memorial University, Grenfell Campus.
- October 19, 2017: Bahar Haghighat on weight stigma and bullying
- November 16, 2017: Anne Burke and Chelsey McPhee on "Digital Footprints: A Critical Inquiry Project Exploring the Online lives of Middle School Students"
- February 23, 2017| Roundtable Discussion on workplace bullying- towards a new research agenda
- September 29, 2016: From the school to the workplace: How can we stop the bullying and harassment? Dr. Gerald White
- October 27, 2016: The Canadian Mental Health Association’s (CMHA-NL) Workplace Mental Health Program John Dinn, CMHA-NL
- Re-scheduled for 2017: Digital citizenship and cyber bullying : A new curriculum. Dr. Anne Burke
- March 30, 2016 The Relationship between Grade Two Perceptions of School Climate in Newfoundland and Labrador Schools and School Bullying Victimization. | Dr. Gerald White Link To Presentation
- May 25, 2016– Research on School Bullying in Newfoundland and Labrador Schools: Finding solutions, through research, for educators. | Dr. Gerald White
- January 27, 2016 at 1:30pm- 3:00pm | Dr. Alan Hall, Director of the Master’s in Employment Relations Program at Memorial’s School of Business: plans for the upcoming one-day Conference on Workplace Harassment and Violence: Research, Policy and Practice, which is being organized in partnership with the Newfoundland and Labrador Centre for Applied Health Research.
- February 24, 2016 at 2:30pm-4:00pm | Grant Fitzpatrick, Education Facilitator with Canadian Mental Health Association, NL Division (CMHA-NL) on Anti-Bullying Program for High Schools
- November 25, 2015 - Connie Morrison | an activity-based presentation that engages participants in activities and simulations based on the premise that bullying originates in a place of misunderstanding difference.
- December 16, 2015 - Lisa Adams | Research on Workplace Bullying
- October 28, 2015- Dorothy Vaandering | Restorative Justice
- September 30, 2015- Gerald White |Bullying and Harassment in the Workplace: perspectives from therapists at the International Association on Workplace Bullying & Harassment (IAWBH), 2015 Summer School in Calgary.
- June 24, 2015- Dr. Gerald White on successful anti-bullying approaches
- May 27, 2015- Dr. Erin Cameron: Obesity & Bullying
- February 25, 2015- Dr. Gerald White: Bullying & the Law
- January 28, 2015: Cyber Bullying- Myths and Facts by Gerald J. White
- November 18, 2014 Dave Dyer, Itinerant, Safe & Caring Schools, English School District (ESD) An Overview of the ESD Safe and Caring Schools Policy.
- March 24, 2014: Gerald White | Cyber Bullies: Who are they? What factors at home and school are associated with cyber bullying
- March 5, 2014: Stephen Hicks | Violence Against Teachers
- November 27, 2014: Peggy Rauman | Horizontal Violence and Social Justice in the Profession of Nursing: An examination through the lens of institutional ethnography- A Research Proposal
- October 30, 2013: Dr. Lisa Adams | Workplace Bullying: The Silent Epidemic