The Research Exchange Group on Chronic Disease was founded in January 2013. The group comprises educators, researchers, practitioners, and policy makers who gather monthly to discuss applied health research and policy directions on issues related to chronic disease in Newfoundland and Labrador, whether diabetes, COPD, kidney disease or other chronic conditions that have an impact on the health of our province's population.
The goals of this group are
- to create research links;
- to identify funding opportunities and research gaps;
- to work towards developing greater overall capacity to conduct research on chronic disease; and
- to promote evidence to inform decisions about chronic disease in Newfoundland and Labrador.
The presentations made by the group cover a broad range of research interests, from disease prevention to policy frameworks to models of care for patients with chronic disease.
NLCAHR is currently working with representatives of the Depratment of Health and Community Services to develop an agenda of activities for the group for 2019. Please stay tuned for updates.
- October 30, 2017 2:30pm-4:00pm: Dr. Anne Kearney on re-thinking mammography screening
- November 29, 2017 12:30pm to 2:00pm: Dr. Pamela Ward on Shifting Paradigms: Adopting a Health not Weight Approach
- January 24, 2018 12:30pm to 2:00pm: Dr. Leigh Anne Newhook and Dr. Laurie Twells "Infant Feeding Research in Newfoundland and Labrador: A Good News Story."
- January 11, 2017: Dr. Brendan Barrett on Choosing Wisely NL
- April 9, 2015 | Dr. Erin McGowan| Physical Activity & Its Impact on Cancer
- June 25, 2014 | Dr. Brendan Barrett: Emerging Opportunities to Enhance Patient-Oriented Research in NL
- April 9, 2014 | Darla King, Regional Manager, Western Health Chronic Disease Prevention and Management at Western Health
- April 17 2013| Kayla Collins on NLCHI Data for Chrionic Disease Research
- March 20 2013| A Presentation by Dr. Kris Aubrey-Bassler on current studies being undertaken at Memorial's Primary Healthcare Research Unit on chronic disease and chronic disease prevention.
- February 20, 2013| A Presentation by Dr. Brendan Barrett, Divisional Chief of Nephrology, Eastern Health: Results of the CAN-PREVENT trial, a randomized trial of a nurse-centred model of care for patients with chronic kidney disease.
- January 30, 2013| A Presentation by Linda Carter, Department of Health & Community Services : "Improving Health Together" A Policy Framework for Chronic Disease Prevention and Management in Newfoundland and Labrador.