The Research Exchange Group on Mental Health was established in Fall 2012 to provide a forum where researchers, policy makers, students, clinicians and community members can gather to discuss mental health research in Newfoundland and Labrador.
The overall goals of the Research Exchange Group on Mental Health are:
- to foster research collaboration on topics related to mental health across a range of academic disciplines;
- to enable group members to network and connect with others who share their interest in mental health issues; and
- to work towards developing a greater overall capacity to conduct research on mental health issues in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Colleen Hanrahan and Kellie LeDrew are the co-conveners of this group. All are welcome to join.
February 25, 2019 at 12:30pm: Collleen Simms, Director of Mental health & Addictions with the Department of Health & Community Services will provide an update on provincial initiatives following from the All-Party Committee's recommendations : Towards Recovery.
March 28, 2019 at 10:30am: Drs. Kerri-Leigh Cassidy and Dallas Seitz of the Canadian Academy of Geriatric Psychiatry will present an overview of the CAGP's programs and initiatives to support seniors' mental health in Canada.
April 2, 2019 at 12:30pm: Dr. Nathaniel Pollock on Aboriginal Mental Health research at the Labrador Institute.
- October 31 2018 |Kaila deBoer, Director of Mental Wellness and Healing on Mental Wellness and Related Services being offered by the Nunatsiavut Department of Health and Social Development- co-hosted by the Research Exchange Group on Rural, Northern, and Aboriginal Health
- January 18, 2018 | Mental Health Commission of Canada (MHCC) Suicide Prevention Initiatives | Karla Thorpe of MHCC
- February 20, 2018 | Research on Resilience from the Wabanaki Two Spirit Alliance with John R. Sylliboy. The Alliance aims to conduct research that will inform the development of supports for mental health and resilience, suicide prevention, Two Spirit cultural identity and awareness. The document resulting from this research will be used to heighten awareness and increase knowledge sharing among Aboriginal communities, tribal organizations, First Nations education institutions and the public at large.
- May 15, 2018 | Video Gaming Addictions with Dr. Nick Harris
- October 4, 2017 | Aging in Community: Perceptions from Stella’s Circle |The results of a study of persons who have complex needs who are aging in community with Colleen Hanrahan, JD, PhD, Keri Chambers and Lisa Browne of Stella's Circle
- November 21, 2017 | Right Here, Right Now: A Women's Centered, Trauma Informed Drop-In Counselling Initiative Dr. Catherine de Boer, Associate Professor at the School of Social Work and member of the Board of Directors of the St. John’s Status of Women Council presented (Link to Program Evaluation Report)
- April 18, 2017 | Colleen Simms, Department of Health & Community Services: Findings from the All Party Committee on Mental Health in NL
- November 10, 2016 | Bridging the Divide - Nutrition and Mental Health Research Priorities in Canada
- October 24, 2016 | Dr. Colleen Hanrahan "Informing public policy development through research; investigating who should be in charge of mental health services in prisons."
- March 19, 2016 | Mark Gruchy, Canadian Mental Health Association NL President and Independent mental health columnist spoke about the CC4MH initiative—the Community Coalition for Mental Health http://theindependent.ca/2014/10/18/fixing-nls-broken-mental-healthcare-system/#sthash.esE7U8W6.dpuf
- March 4, 2016 | The Growing Epidemic of Adolescent Mental Illness: Is It Real? Can It Be Prevented?" | Dr. Ian Coleman, Canada Research Chair (Tier II) Mental Health Epidemiology, University of Ottawa
- February 24, 2016 | Think Twice: CMHA Program for Challenging Mental Health Stigma in High Schools | Grant Fitzpatrick, Education Facilitator with Canadian Mental Health Association, NL Division
- October 27, 2015 | A Presentation on Mental Health & Addictions Emergency Services at Eastern Health
- May 28, 2015 | Innovating Online with Stepped Care: Towards a more sustainable model of mental healthcare delivery | Dr. Peter Cornish, Associate Professor and Director, Memorial University Counselling Centre provided an overview of a stepped care model based on an innovative mental health model developed in the UK which promises rapid access for face-to-face intake from mental health services within a primary care setting, followed by a systematic triage and monitoring system.
- May 8, 2015 | NLCHI resources for Mental Health Researchers | Michele Butler and Kerry LeFresne provided an overview of data sources available to researchers through the NL Centre for Health Information.
- April 7, 2015 | Lisa Zigler, MSW RSW, Project Coordinator spoke about Navigators and Networks (NAVNET). Navigators and Networks, an initiative to address system barriers affecting individuals with multiple and complex needs in St. John’s. http://navnetnl.ca/ | Presentation on NAVNET by Lisa Zigler
- December 3, 2014 | Challenges to Recovery in Early Psychosis: Implications of Recovery Rate and Timing with Dr. Joy Maddigan and Dr. Kellie LeDrew of Eastern Health
- October 31, 2014 | Nicole Snow on Community Treatment Orders: preliminary results only--presentation not available
- May 15, 2014 | Heather Hynes of Central Health: “Lessons Learned from a Pilot Project at Central Health: Mental Health in the Workplace.”
- April 15, 2014 | Sally Payne, Memorial University: An Introduction to The Social-Clinical Interface and its Relevance to Stigma and Bias in Mental Health
- March 15, 2014 | Dr. Chava Finkler on Housing and Mental Health