The Health Impacts of Fracking
The Research Exchange Group on the Health Impacts of Fracking (hydraulic fracturing) was established in February, 2015 to build research capacity in Newfoundland and Labrador on this public health issue.
The group prepared presentations to the NLHRFP (The NL Hydraulic Fracturing Review Panel) in 2015. After consultation with stakeholders from across the province, the NLHFRP issued its final report in May 2016. The report can be found here:
The research group on the health impacts of fracking included university researchers, health professionals, decision makers, citizens and community group representatives who share a common interest in research into the health impacts of hydraulic fracturing, particularly the potential health effects of this activity on community health in Western Newfoundland and Labrador.
At its inaugural meeting on February 27, 2015, the group agreed to pursue the following objectives:
- to inform the Government NL’s Independent Panel for the Review of Hydraulic Fracturing prior to that panel's announcement in October, 2015. http://www.releases.gov.nl.ca/releases/2014/nr/1010n04.aspx
- to share information and carry out further research into the health impacts of hydraulic fracturing, particularly as these relate to proposed oil exploration in Western NL.
- to explore funding opportunities and collaborative partnerships towards future research.
Overview of Meetings
- May 6, 2015: Dr. Frank Smith presented "Everything You Wanted to Know About Fracking (But Were Afraid to Ask.)"
- March 18, 2015: Graham Oliver presented "A Grassroots Introduction to Fracking in Western Newfoundland."
- February 27, 2015: Initial group planning meeting